Sustainability Pledge Update as of July 1, 2023
Jasper SkyTram is situated within Canada’s largest Rocky Mountain park, Jasper National Park— an integral part of the UNESCO Canadian Rockies World Heritage Site. We recognize our responsibility to the environment by working closely with Parks Canada, the Canadian government and consultancy firms.
We place the health and safety of our staff and guests above all else. This core value has and will continue to shape the way we operate as we strive to provide you, our guest, with a deep and lasting connection to the magnificent Rocky Mountains of Jasper National Park.
The natural world isn’t only our livelihood but also our passion, so we feel particularly motivated to do our part to combat climate change.
- Most of the summer and winter teams take staff transportation (vans and buses) to travel to and from work.
- Jasper SkyTram partners with Sundog Transportation and Tours to provide a shuttle service that transports visitors to the SkyTram from various Jasper locations.
- Staff undergo training to learn how to respect and protect the wildlife at work and during their personal time, especially those employed during the summer months.
- Staff inform guests about the flora and fauna in the natural environment surrounding them and how to protect it. We adhere to a “leave no trace” policy and how important it is not to collect or move rocks, sticks or flowers. Guests are also instructed to stay on trails to minimize impact on the fragile mountain alpine environment and not feed the wildlife.
Jasper SkyTram employs around 40 people in Jasper, supporting the local economy by providing a popular attraction that serves visitors from around the world.
- Jasper SkyTram is an equal opportunity employer with a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to exploitation and harassment.
- Ongoing assessment of events and messaging to ensure they are inclusive and non-offensive to all.
- Jasper SkyTram regularly partners with local companies and entrepreneurs, offering prizes and sponsorship.
Jasper SkyTram respects people from all cultures and backgrounds.
- Jasper National Park is located on the traditional lands of the Anishinabe, Aseniwuche Winewak, Dene-zaa, Nêhiyawak, Secwépemc, Stoney Nakoda and Métis. There is evidence of human occupation dating as far back as 10,000 years in the Athabasca Valley.
- Jasper SkyTram operates under a leasehold from Parks Canada that recognizes and respects the original Indigenous stewards of the land.
As stewards of the Jasper SkyTram leasehold, we are committed to protecting this fragile environment and the wildlife that call it home.
- Jasper SkyTram’s water supply comes from natural streams that flow in the summer months. All wastewater is trucked to a treatment plant to maintain the health of the waterways.
- Both upper and lower stations utilize waterless urinals, saving thousands of liters of water.
- Our summer staff clean-up and remove any garbage left in parking lots and on the grounds.
- Jasper SkyTram is consistently seeking ways to reduce waste sent to our local landfill site through efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle. These initiatives include a strict recycling program for waste.
- WHISTLERS RESTORATION PROJECT: In 2015, the Friends of Jasper National Park, in partnership with Parks Canada and Jasper SkyTram began work to realign, redefine and rehabilitate the Whistlers Summit Trail with the goals of protecting the fragile alpine landscape from degradation and impact created by heavy use.
- To save on printing, guests are encouraged to book online and recieve a QR code on their mobile device.
Health and Safety
- Designated return flights from the top of the mountain have been implemented to avoid lineups and to allow more leisure time in the alpine.
- Open windows inside the tramcar will allow fresh mountain air to circulate.
- Staff will continue to follow all protocols regarding personal hygiene, cleaning and sanitizing procedures.
- Communication between staff and guests will continue to ensure that all precautionary measures are consistently and effectively maintained.
Jasper SkyTram provides a connection to Jasper's Rocky Mountain like no other. We are excited to share Whistlers Mountain and the awe-inspiring views with you!
Todd Noble – General Manager